Archive for November, 2010

Can’t save office documents directly to Sharepoint 2010 on Windows 2008

When SharePoint didn’t let us save documents back to the source library from client applications we knew it had something to do with Windows 2008, and before too long we figured out we need to install “Desktop Experience” feature in order to save documents back to SharePoint directly from client applications.

And there you go.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

ULS Viewer for better bug tracking

I have always hated trying to find errors in log files, until recently when I found ULS Viewer. It has made finding error in huge log files a lot easier, specially in the case of SharePoint, where SharePoint gives you correlation id and you can take it to ULS Viewer and set filter on it.

I find it extremely useful, here is the URL;

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/ULSViewer

Happy hunting J

Leave a comment

SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services doesn’t work in integrated mode with SharePoint 2010

When my company made the decision to upgrade our intranet from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 version, I was over the moon, but immediately I was told that we wouldn’t be upgrading to SQL Server 2008, it was still fine, because Microsoft states that SharePoint 2010 works with SQL Server 2005 SP2 with cumulative updates. It’s only later when we found out that SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 would not work with SharePoint 2010 in integrated mode.

This is not all, we were lucky enough to get our hands on Visual Studio 2010, but guess what? You can’t develop or even open SSRS 2005 reports in Visual Studio 2010.

Happy coding J

Leave a comment

SharePoint alerts are not working after upgrade from 2007 to 2010

When we decided to upgrade SharePoint from 2007 to 2010, out IT imposed that the new server would be virtual and our intranet URL and server names will be different too. We went for ‘database attach’ upgrade and almost everything went according to the plan.

It was only after a few days we noticed that the email alerts were not working for everyone. After thorough checking of MS Exchange, anti virus and Windows on the server, we came to a conclusion that only those alerts which were created in the old version were not working.

One option was to write some code and update all the alerts in the application, but luckily we found a better solution from Microsoft, it’s a script which updates all the alerts in an application without sending any notifications to the users. It worked for us.

Update alerts by using Windows PowerShell (SharePoint Server 2010)

Leave a comment